Noise anxiety is common in pets and this can go to the extent of making some pets to be aggressive or experience fright, how to help your pet cope with noise anxiety is achievable.
Even though they are safe, sound and well cared for in the house, many of our pets can’t shake their fear.
It is important to note that noise anxiety in pets could be related to their health because illness lower their threshold for anxiety and fearfulness.
This noise anxiety may be trigger by many factors. Determining what caused your pet’s noise anxiety may be difficult to identify.
Here are few examples that trigger noise anxiety in pets:
- Electronic sound such as radio, TV
- loud gathering
- Fire alarm e.t.c
Table of Contents
Signs of Anxiety in Pets
When pets are expressing anxiety, they have the tendency to exhibit some of the following signs:
- Painting Barking
- Becoming aggressive
- Trying to escape from the house
How to Prevent Noise Anxiety in Pets
1. Providing a safe habitat: Create a safe haven for your pet. once there is a loud noise happening outside, get your pet into a safe place. close all the windows and doors too.
2. Get a background sound: inside the safe place, play background music (not too loud) this will help the pets in treating their anxiety because the sound will distract them from concentrating on their fear.
3. Secure feeling: some pets enjoy the feeling of a tight, secure wrap by doing this the pets will feel secure. This is just like a newborn baby been wrapped to enjoy the feeling.
4. De-sensitivity: this process should be done over a gradual period of time. By exposing pets to fireworks is a good example of this. Playing a musical sound and increasing the volume gradually as they get used to it.
5. Get help from a Vet: You must consult your Veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. There are varieties of drugs that may help in treating anxiety in pets. By consulting your Vet, you will get the medication needed and before taking the drugs ask the Vet about the risks and side effects of the drugs.